Wednesday, February 26, 2014

made at home: ginger blood orange tea




Ginger Blood Orange Tea
  • A medium-sized ginger root, cut into 1/2 inch slices and peeled
  • juice of two blood oranges
  • 3 tablespoons of honey (or to desired amount)
  • 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 5 cups of water

    Cut and peel the ginger root, and then place into the pot water. Bring the water and ginger root to a boil, let boil for about five minutes, then bring to a shimmer for another 10-20 minutes (the longer the ginger root is shimmering, the stronger the tea will be). After the shimmering time is up, pull the liquid mixture off the hot stove-top into a non-heated surface. Mix in the juice from two blood oranges, honey, and cayenne pepper. Serve warm, with a slice of blood orange. (The tea may also be diluted with water if a weaker ginger taste is desired.)  




     I have had an off-and-on cold for about three weeks now. The winter time always brings this upon me, and it usually goes and comes the same way each year. During these times of the year when I have a cold, I usually stray from any sort of medication... I stick to more natural ways to heal myself. Drinking ginger tea is one of those options I had starting using last year. 
     I used to make my ginger tea with lemons, sometimes with just ginger and honey, but I decided to try something else this year... with my favorite fruit, a blood orange. This tea is bitter, in-your-face-ginger, and so soothing to a shore thoart. The blood orange juice makes the tea more fruity, and produces the prettiest color in the tea. If you are experiencing an ongoing cold this winter, I would highly suggest boiling some ginger yourself. Enjoy. 

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds amazing! I love blood oranges. I hope you're feeling better!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your little kitty pendant. Very cute. Ginger in any form helps my winter allergies. I hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! And I must try that tea. Feel better. :)

    love,
    a

    www.missdecaf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blood orange concoction, I must make myself some to try it.
    I absolutely love ginger and can never get enough of it. Thb, "bitter, in-your-face-ginger" is really the best kind. :]
    ♡ Dulce

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will definately try this!
    just stop by, have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bumped to your blog and loving all the pictures here! thanks for stopped by to my blog

    xx
    rimatambunan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is so dreamy. I love the photography, it takes me to wonderland. :)

    I have been making an effort to drink more tea recently, and I'd love to start making my own recipes. This one sounds deeelicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oo looks absolutely delicious!

    much love,
    rach

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boiling Billy applies the Venturi Principle of water pressure. There aren't any moving parts so it's maintenance free. It's our way of harnessing nature's technology. When there aren't any pumpssolenoid valves or electronic taps, there are fewer breakdowns and, importantly, less energy is consumed.
    http://www.boiling-billy.com/

    ReplyDelete

thank you for leaving a message! i always love reading your comments. i will try my best to answer any questions asked, but feel free to contact me via email (hellomrrabbitblog@gmail.com) for inquiries or more questions/comments. have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...